Frog Morphology Short Notes
In this article we will discuss about the Frog Morphology
- Rana tigrina is the most common species of frog
- They are poikilotherms or cold blooded
- Frog is almost cosmopolitan nearby watery areas
- Frogs use camouflage to avoid predators
- The summer sleep of the frog is known as aestivation
- The winter sleep of the frog is known as hibernation
- The sound made by the male frog during breeding season is called croaking. It is a call for mating
- Size varies from 18 to 20cm in length and 5 to 8cm in width
- Body of frog is adapted for burrowing, jumping and swimming
- The frog never drinks water but absorb it through the skin
- The body of the frog is divided into head and trunk
- Both neck and tail are absent
- Head is triangular & its anterior conical part is called snout
- Two openings are present tip of snout is called nostrils
- Pair of nostrils helps in respiration
- On top of head pair of eyes are present. In eyes upper eyelid is immovable, lower eyelid is freely moveable and nictitating membrane arises from lower eyelid
- Frog lacks external ear. The ear drum or tympanum is present behind and below each eye
- In male vocal sacs are present, croaking during breeding season
- Head is broadly joined behind with the flat trunk
- Two pairs of limbs are attached to its trunk
- The fore limb is shorter than the hind limb
- Fore limbs that end in four digits
- In male frog ventral side of first digit copulatory pad enlarge during breeding season
- This pad help the male frog to grip the female during copulation
- They are larger and muscular
- The hind limbs end in five digits
- They have webbed digits that help in swimming
Frequently Asked Questions: –
Why are frogs cold blooded?
Frog can't retain its boday temprate as constant, they body temprature adjusts to its environment. so they called as cold blooded or poikilotherms.
What is aestivation in frog?
Frogs survive long periods of dry conditions by going into dormant state is called aestivation or summer sleep
Why do frog undergo hibernation?
The winter sleep of the frog is known as hibernation. Because many animals to survie winter that bring little food and water. That time frog like animals goes to winter sleep for decreased its metabolism.
What is cloaca in frogs?
Frogs have common opening for excretory, urinary and reproductive systems are known as cloaca
What is copulatory pad?
In male frog ventral side of first digit copulatory pad enlarge during breeding season. This pad help the male frog to grip the female during copulation
You may also like: –
- Frog Morphology Short Notes
- Frog Digestive System Short Notes
- Frog Respiratory System Short Notes
- Frog Circulatory System Short Notes
- Frog Nervous System Short Notes
- Frog Urogenital System Short Notes
For more detailed information about Structural Organisation in Animals, download now full study material as PDF and if you want to learn more detailed information about Structural Organisation in Animals, visit YouTube Channel.