Functions of Muscles
In this article we will discuss about the functions of muscles
Functions of Muscles
- There are three types of muscle tissues in animal
- Skeletal muscle
- Cardiac muscle
- Smooth muscle
Skeletal Muscle Function
- Skeletal muscle is responsible for all voluntary actions of the body.
- By pulling on tendons, they then produce movement of the skeleton.
- Maintaining posture and body position
- Support soft tissues and store nutrient reserves
- Skeletal muscles protect the internal organs from injury.
Smooth Muscle Function
- All involuntary activities are responsible for smooth muscles because they are controlled by signals from the autonomous nervous system.
- Smooth muscles in the gut enable food to move through the alimentary canal of the digestive system.
- The smooth muscles regulate body temperature.
- Smooth muscle muscles help with the flow of blood in the arteries and veins.
- In the urinary bladder, smooth muscle helps to push out urine.
- During menstruation, smooth muscle in the uterus contracts to expel the uterine lining.
- Smooth muscle helps sperm to move along the male reproductive tract.
- To prevent urination during ejaculation by men, the sphincter muscle constricts.
- The smooth muscle in the uterus helps a woman to push out her baby.
- Smooth muscle cells in the ovaries contract when a woman ovulates.
Cardiac Muscle Function
- Cardiac muscle tissue helps to keep your heart pumping through involuntary movements.
- Cardiac muscles are found only in the heart
- It also helps in the flow of blood.
- They regulate the contraction and relaxation of the heart, which helps in pumping blood through the circulatory system.
- The cardiac muscle tissue works without stopping, day and night.
- The movements of the cardiac muscles are involuntary. They are important in sustaining life.
Frequently Asked Questions: –
Muscle tissue is a type of animal tissue. It is made up of thin and elongated cells called muscle fibers. It controls the movement of an organism
There are three types of muscle tissues in animal
1. Skeletal muscle
2. Cardiac muscle
3. Smooth muscle
They main function of muscle tissue is shorten or contract in order to produce movement of the body parts.
You may also like: –
- Epithelial Tissue Structure, Types and Function
- Connective tissue: Definition, Structure, Types and Function
- Muscle Tissue: – Characteristics, Structure, Types and Function
- Nervous tissue: Structure, Types and Function
For more detailed information about Structural Organisation in Animals, download now full study material as PDF and if you want to learn more detailed information about Structural Organisation in Animals, visit YouTube Channel.