Caesalpinia bonduc (L.)Roxb.
In this article we will discuss about the Caesalpinia bonduc :- common name, scientific name, medicinal uses and photos.
- English: Bonduc nut, Fever Nut, Physic nut1
- Tamil: Kazharchikkaai, Vajrapijam
- Hindi: Kat karanj
- Kannada: Gejjuga
- Marathi: Katukaranja, Sagargoti
- Telugu: Gatstsa, Sukajambuka
- Malayalam: Kalimarakam, Kazhanchikkuru
- Name: Caesalpinia bonduc (L.)Roxb.
- Family: Fabaceae (pea family)
- Synonyms: Caesalpinia bonducella, Guilandina bonducella, Caesalpinia cristata
Caesalpinia bonduc Medicinal Uses
- The powder of its roasted seeds with ghee mitigates the condition and relieves the pain.
- The seeds powder, given with milk, controls the diarrhea.
- The skin of the seed being astringent is beneficial as a medicament for diarrhea, dysentery and colitis.
- In worm infestations, the juice of its leaves or powder of its roasted seeds is given along with palasa, amra and haridra.
- The combination of its roasted seeds powder and pippali with honey is the best medication for malarial fever.
- The leaves fried in ghee, eliminate vata and relieve constipation, hence valuable in piles.
- The seeds are stimulant to the uterus, improve the menstrual discharge in Oligomenorrhea and reduce the pain in lower abdominal region.
- Tender leaves juice are given along with the honey to ward off the mucous secretions.
- Oil prepared from the leaves, is a valuable nervine tonic.
- The oil from the seeds is used for cooking
- The plant planted as a live fence.
- An oil obtained from the seed is used in cosmetic preparations
Caesalpinia bonduc Photos
You may like this
- Pandey, Desh Deepak, Alok Pal Jain and Abhay Kumar. “Caesalpinia bonducella: A pharmacological important plant.” The Pharma Innovation Journal 7 (2018): 190-193. http://www.thepharmajournal.com/archives/2018/vol7issue12/PartD/7-12-12-793.pdf
- Guilandina bonduc. useful tropical plants. (n.d.). Retrieved May 23, 2022, from http://tropical.theferns.info/