Sesamum indicum L.
In this article we will discuss about the sesamum indicum:- common name, scientific name, medicinal uses and photos.
- English name: Sesame
- Tamil name: Ellu, El, Tilam
- Hindi name: Safed til
- Name: Sesamum indicum L.
- Family: Pedaliaceae (sesame family)
- Synonyms: Sesamum orientale, Sesamum mulayanum
Sesamum indicum medicinal uses
- A paste of sesame mixed with ghee and honey and applied over the wound
- The powder of sesame is taken with hot water after food will increase digeston.
- Oil of sesame is applied over skin in Vata skin diseases
- Daily usage of sesame oil improves hair growth
- The leaves are rich in a gummy matter and when mixed with water they form a rich bland mucilage that is used in the treatment of infant cholera, diarrhoea, dysentery, catarrh and bladder problems.
- The oil is laxative and also promotes menstruation.
- The plant oil mixed with lime water is used externally to treat burns, boils and ulcers.
- The root decoction is used to treat asthma and coughs.
- Sesame oil is an edible vegetable oil derived from seeds.
- Oil is also used in soap making, paints, lighting, as a lubricant and a carrier of pharmaceutical drugs etc.
- The oil can also be used in barrier creams to protect the skin from harmful UV light radiation.
- The dry stalks are used as fuel and as a construction material for building shelters.
Sesamum indicum photos
You may also like