Amorphophallus paeoniifolius (Dennst.) Nicolson
In this article we will discuss about the elephant foot yam:- common name, scientific name, medicinal uses and photos.
- English name: Elephant Foot Yam
- Tamil: Anaittantu, Boomi sallaraikilangu, Camattilai
- Hindi Name: Oal, Gandira, Jangli suran
- Name: Amorphophallus paeoniifolius (Dennst.) Nicolson
- Family: Araceae (Arum family)
- Synonyms: Amorphophallus campanulatus, Pythion campanulatum, Arum phalliferum
Amorphophallus paeoniifolius medicinal uses
- The plant tuber is used to improve appetite.
- The tuber is also prescribed for bronchitis, asthma, abdominal pain, emesis, dysentery, enlargement of spleen, piles, elephantiasis, diseases due to vitiated blood, and rheumatic swellings.
- The plant root is used for dysentery and treatment of acute rheumatisy.
- The tuber dry powder mixed with curd and hot water is taken internally to cure jaundice.
- The whole plant parts are eaten and cooked as vegetables.
Elephant foot yam photos
You may also like