Chondrichthyes General Characteristics and Examples
After reading this article you will learn about Chondrichthyes General Characteristics and Examples
Chondrichthyes General Characteristics
- These are all marine and cartilaginous fishes
- Skin covered with minute placoid scales
- Mouth and nostrils ventral
- Five to seven pairs of gill slits present but not covered with operculum. Except in the chimaeras
- Lungs or air bladder absent in these fishes
- Spiral valves present in intestine
- Paired fins are broad. The caudal fin is mostly heterocercal
- Males with claspers, fertilization is internal.
- They are oviparous or ovoviviparous
- It is commonly called rabbit fish, rat fish or ghost fish
- Its connecting link between cartilaginous fish and bony fishes
- Cartilaginous fish characters – Cartilage skeleton, Claspers and placoid scales
- bony fishes characters – Operculum, distinct anus and urogenital aperture.
- It is commonly called dog fish or Indian shark
- Ampulla of lorenzini help to receives information of temperature fluctuations in water
- Heterocercal tail is present
- The claspers help in the copulation
- It is ovoviviparous
- Liver oil get from this fish
- It is commonly called electric ray
- They are bottom living fish
- A pair of electric organs are situated on the dorsal side of trunk
- Both pectoral fins are fused with trunk
- It is commonly called sting ray
- It is resembles the electric ray in many aspects but don’t have eclectic organs
- The tail bearing a spine.
- the spine makes a severe wound on the victim
For more detailed information about Animal Kingdom, visit YouTube Channel.