Oldenlandia umbellata L.
In this article we will discuss about the Oldenlandia umbellata :- common name, scientific name, medicinal uses and photos.
- English names: Chay Root
- Tamil name: Chayaver, Emboorel, Imbura-ver
- Name: Oldenlandia umbellata L.
- Family: Rubiaceae (Coffee family)
- Synonyms: Hedyotis indica, Hedyotis wightii, Oldenlandia wightii
Oldenlandia umbellata Medicinal Uses
- The leaves and roots are used to treat bronchitis, asthma, consumption.
- A decoction of the plant leaves is used to wash for poisonous bites.
- Dried and powdered plant mixed with water is taken internally for asthma.
- Roots and leaves are expectorant and given bronchial disorders.
- The whole plant is used for leucoderma
- The root bark mixed with alum is the source of a red dye known as Indian Madder.
- The root is known for its ability to impart a red colour to wool, silk and calico fabrics.
Chay Root Photos
You may like this