Pongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre
In this article we will discuss about the Pongamia pinnata :- common name, scientific name, medicinal uses and photos.
- English: Indian beech tree, Hongay oil tree
- Tamil: Ponga Maram, Punkai
- Hindi: Karanj
- Kannada: Honge
- Marathi: karanj
- Telugu: kaadeputhige
- Malayalam: Minnari, Pongam
- Name: Pongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre
- Family: Fabaceae (pea family)
- Synonyms: Millettia pinnata, Pongamia glabra, Derris indica, Cytisus pinnatus
Pongamia pinnata Medicinal Uses
- Liquid extraction of stem bark demonstrates important CNS sedative and antipyretic activity
- Leaves are digestive, stomach, antihelmintic and are suitable for diarrhea, leprosy, dyspepsia and cough.
- The flowers are useful in relieving dipsia with diabetes and reducing vata and kapha.
- The seeds are antihelmintic, bitter, acrid, haematinic and carminative. They are useful for infections, chronic fever, anemia and hemorrhoids
- The oil is antihelmintic, styptic and is recommended for opthalmia, leprosy, ulcers, herpes and lumbago.
- Root used for cleansing wounds, brushing teeth, tightening gums and gonorrhea
- The leaf juice is used for colds, coughs, diarrhea, dyspepsia, constipation, gonorrhea, leprosy
- The fruit is to cure whooping cough of children.
- Leaves are used to make roof of festival pandhals
- Bark is used to wash the idols of Gods
- The leaf used as feed for cattle
- The seed oil used as cooking oil and lamps, as lubricants, water-repellent, pesticide and soap making, candles and tanning industry
Pongamia pinnata Photos
You may like this
- Pandey, Priyanka & Sharma, Amit & Mca, Shivam. (2019). A SURVEY ON PONGAMIA PINNATA (KARANJ) WITH TRADITIONAL, ECONOMICAL, MEDICINAL USE. SSRN Electronic Journal. 6. 1367-1372. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351035092_A_SURVEY_ON_PONGAMIA_PINNATA_KARANJ_WITH_TRADITIONAL_ECONOMICAL_MEDICINAL_USE