Table of Contents
Tectona grandis L.f.
In this article we will discuss about the tectona grandis :- common name, scientific name, medicinal uses and photos.
- English: Teak wood tree, Indian Oak
- Tamil: Thaekku, Thanagaamaram
- Hindi: Sagvaan
- Kannada: Thega mara
- Sanskrit: Shaka
- Marathi: Sag, Sagwan
- Telugu: Teku
- Malayalam: Thekku
Name: Tectona grandis L.f.
Family: Lamiaceae (mint family)
Synonyms: Jatus grandis, Tectona theca, Theka grandis
Tectona grandis Medicinal Uses
- Teak stem bark, butea monosperma and syzigium cumini is taken pounded it with water and taken twice in a day to cure gynecological diseases.
- The wood is considered as laxative, a sedative for the uterus, good for piles, dysentery and leucoderma.
- Flowers are used for bronchitis, nausea and urinary tract problems
- The Leaves decoction used for cold, piles and dysentery.
- A decoction of the fresh or deied leaves is used for menstrual problems and haemorrhage, as well as gargle for sore throats
- A plaster made from the powdered wood is used internally to get rid of interstinal prasites, a paste made with water is used on swollen eyelids and also for acute dermatitis and other skin irritation.
- Flowers and seeds are used as diuretic, while oils from seeds is used to stimulate hair growth and soothe irritated skin, etc.
- Fresh seed extract is taken orally twise in a day to remove gynecological disorder.
- Roots are used forurinary tract problems
- Wood very hard, very valuable and great demand as for timber.
- Leaves made into food plates
- Wood very durable, resistant to fungi.
Teak Wood Tree Photos
You may like this