Cockroach Excretory System Short Notes
In this article we will discuss about the cockroach excretory system
Cockroach Excretory System
- Excretory system help in removal of waste substance from heamolymph.
- Main excretory organ is malpighian tubules
- These are yellow coloured, thin, filamentous located at the junction of midgut and hind gut.
- 100-150 malpighian tubules are present
- They are lined by glandular and ciliated epithelium
- Excretory substance mainly in the form of potassium urate
- Potassium urate converted into uric acid by the cells of cuboidal epithelium
- Uric acid is finally released into alimentary canal
- Water absorbed by hind gut and excretory materials along with undigested food is released outside.
- They are enteronephric
Other Excretory Organs
- Fat bodies: urate cells are scattered among the fat body and store uric acid so its called storage excretion
- Uricose gland: These help in excretion in male cockroach only. Uricose glands are found associated with the mushroom-shaped gland. These can also store uric acid and discharge it at the time of copulation over the spermatophore.
- Nephrocytes: either side of hearts & they are also called pericardial cells
Frequently Asked Questions: –
What is the excretory organ of a cockroach?
The main excretory organ of a cockroach is malpighian tubules. These are yellow coloured, thin, filamentous and located at the junction of midgut and hind gut. They release nitrogenous waste such as uric acid.
What are the excretory organs of a cockroach?
In cockroaches, other than malpighian tubules, the excretion is done by fat bodies, uricose glands and nephrocytes.
How many malpighian tubules are present in cockroaches?
100-150 malpighian tubules are present
Function of nephrocytes in cockroach
Nephrocytes are located on either side of the heart & they are also called pericardial cells. Help for excretion in cockroaches.
You may also like: –
- Cockroach Morphology Short Notes
- Cockroach Digestive System Short Notes
- Cockroach Excretory System Short Notes
- Cockroach Respiratory System Short Notes
- Cockroach Nervous System Short Notes
- Cockroach Circulatory System Short Notes
- Cockroach Reproductive System Short Notes
For more detailed information about Structural Organisation in Animals, download now full study material as PDF and if you want to learn more detailed information about Structural Organisation in Animals, visit YouTube Channel.